Monday 17 May 2010

The Howgill Fells

Wednesday 7th April 2010

After my walk the day before, I was really tired and aching so I decided to take things easy for this walk and catch a bus to Sedburgh in order to walk up the Howgill Fells. I previously visited these fells in 2004 when I had a fabulous walk over these wonderful fells that are a cross between the Yorkshire Dales (which they are in) and the Lake District (which is within sight). They're a gloriously complex arrangement of deep, water-cut valleys and grassy ridges that are an absolute delight to walk along with many hours easily wasted exploring their many tops and ridges. When I visited these fells in 2004 I had deliberately walked up every one of the fells that are more than two thousand feet high, and visited the spectacular Cautley Spout, a waterfall on the eastern edge of the fells. I remember the weather was good for that walk and the views of the Lake District were stunning, particularly from the western most top, Fell Head. On this walk I didn't go that far as I was really taking a day off and I wanted a gentle walk without too much exertion, but I still reached the highest point in the Howgill Fells.

My original plan had been to approach the Howgill Fells from the village of Grayrigg, but changed my plans in favour of this much easier, simple out and back route. From the centre of Sedburgh I climbed up Howgill Lane to Lockbank Farm and onto the open fell. Since I was still really tired my progress up was dreadfully, painfully slow as I trudged along the path bypassing all the tops along the way and staying on the main path all the way up to the top of Calders where I had lunch. After the poor weather of the last couple of days I was now blessed with some lovely sunshine that made the walk that much more pleasant and relaxing, but it was still a bit cold at the top. After eating I buttoned up against the cold wind and headed off to the Calf, the highest point in the Howgill Fells. The Calf is more than just the highest point, it is the focal point of the Howgill Fells, and all the other tops and ridges radiate from that central point so that the views from the summit are quite sensational.

After taking a number of pictures from the top of the Calf I reluctantly didn't visit Cautley Spout waterfall but turned around and headed back down to Sedburgh. This walk may have been unimaginative, but I was so tired I needed an easy, relaxing walk in order to get my strength back. On my way back down along the path I stopped off at all the tops that I'd missed on my way up, stopping off at Brim Rigg Top, Calders, the Rowantree Grains, Arant Haw and Winder, all along the way. The descent was thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing, especially once I was below the cold wind that was blowing around the tops; the weather was so warm and sunny that my gentle, relaxing descent was as pleasurable as it gets. Near the bottom I sat down on the grass and simply enjoyed the sunshine, amazed at the difference a bit of sun makes. This was a great walk and was just what I needed to get my strength back.

No comments: