Thursday 8 August 2024

Foinaven

Saturday 1st June 2024

I spent most of my time on this holiday in the historic county of Sutherland, which I had previously visited just once back in 2010 when poor weather and bad planning had meant there were a number of hills that I failed to climb so I was hoping to do those hills now. However, with the weather as it has been this year in Britain I was not very hopeful, but the forecast for this day was surprisingly good with the Mountain Weather Information Service even using the word glorious. It didn’t seem that good, but at least it was dry with little wind as I made my way across the county through mesmerising, sparsely populated scenery along the shores of Loch Shin, Loch Merkland and Loch More until I reached a small car park just before Loch Stack. For a long time my plan for this holiday had been to do the long distance walk of the Sutherland Trail devised by Cameron McNeish. This starts in the west coast village of Lochinver and crosses Sutherland past many of the mountains in the area to reach the north coast at Tongue. I had been eager to do this trail and to climb some of the mountains on the way, but after my experiences at Easter camping in Dartmoor I realised that I don’t really like camping and with Sutherland being very sparsely populated I wouldn’t be able to restock with food between Lochinver and Tongue. So I reformulated this holiday by taking my car which prevented me from doing the Sutherland Trail, but still let me climb those mountains that the trail passes and I was starting with Foinaven.

The scenery on the drive had been stunning and now as I made my way along a wide track away from the car park on the actual route of the Sutherland Trail I was struck by the sheer beauty of the mountains in this area that are covered in rock falling precipitously to the shores of the numerous lochs that litter the landscape. The conical peak of Ben Stack dominated the scene but soon it was the craggy of slopes of Arkle, on the other side of Loch Stack, that drew my eye before starting to slowly to climb the track that heads into the mountains beside Allt Horn. The weather was not as glorious as promised with overcast skies spoiling the view although eventually the clouds thinned to reveal blue skies, except above the mountain tops which held onto a heavy covering of cloud. The awesome mountain scenery continued as I slowly climbed the track and eventually I reached the col between Arkle and Foinaven and onward I climbed until I reached Bealach Horn where I finally came off the path at a small pile of stones to venture across the pathless slopes towards Foinaven. Unfortunately, by now I was being attacked by a strong cold wind that made this relentless climb extremely difficult and frustrating, especially when the weather was good in all other regards and amongst spectacular scenery. A strong cold wind can ruin a walk as effectively, or even more so, than rain or low clouds.


I crossed bands of rock and grass to traverse Bealach Horn before climbing unending slopes into the strong cold wind while Arkle continued to dominate the view with its exuberance of rock that made me wish I had forsaken Foinaven to climb the smaller mountain. The summit of Foinaven was hidden behind intermediate hills but still I kept going, but as time advanced and my goal seemed always far away I began to doubt whether I would actually reach the summit. Eventually, at the top of An t-Sàil Mhòr, the summit ridge of Foinaven came into view and beyond I made my way against the strong winds across the col to an unnamed 808 metre top where I finally had a clear view of the narrow ridge that extends past a prominent pinnacle, over the unnamed top above A’ Chèir Ghorm before finally, a long way away, rises to the highest point on Foinavon. It was obvious that it would take me a very long time to get to the summit along that ridge and with my only return of route being back the way I’d come then, at my present rate, it would be very late in the day before I finally returned to my car. With this in mind and the strong, cold winds that continued to batter me I decided to turn back and be content with getting as far as I had.


With the wind now at my back I was able to enjoy the return and admire the gorgeous, ground-hugging, purple flowers that covered the mountain slopes and the fabulous mountain scenery all around me that was making the climb worth the effort, even though I didn’t actually reach the summit of the mountain. I bypassed the top of An t-Sàil Mhòr slowly making my way down the rocky ridge, still being battered by the wind that had ruined the walk. Rather than head back to Bealach Horn I kept to the top of the ridge which gradually took me down to the col with Arkle while I wondered what could have been. I had originally wanted to do both Arkle and Foinaven, but with hindsight Foinaven is not practical from where I’d started and if I’d set my sights on Arkle instead, which is smaller both in height and breadth, then I would have easily been able to reach the summit, so perhaps next time, whenever that may be. I enjoyed the walk amongst stunning mountain scenery and the slow descent, especially when out of the wind, that let me catch my breath after an exhausting and exhilarating walk. 

No comments: