Thursday, 30 July 2026

The Devil’s Staircase and the Ciaran Path

Monday 25th May 2026

While planning for this holiday I tried to create a long distance trail across the West Highlands of Scotland, which begs the question: what not just do the West Highland Way? This is a good point, but I have done that before, so I didn’t want to do it again and I wanted something more mountainous, that climbs onto the tops of the hills rather than staying in the valleys. I had started my trail on the Loch Lomond and Cowal Way, but after reaching Loch Lomond I had difficulty deciding how to continue heading north without resorting to the West Highland Way, which is what I eventually did because bad weather left me with no other choice. Therefore, my west highland trail had so far brought me to Bridge of Orchy and technically I should have returned there to continue heading north, either towards Ben Alder or along the West Highland Way. Instead I decided to spend a couple of nights in Glencoe and now I was going to resume my trek from there and for the next five days I had a route of my own devising that would take me through the west highlands until I reached Loch Ness, which I had decided would be my end point. Loch Leven and Aonach Eagach were a clear barrier in my efforts to head north, so I wasn’t done with the West Highland Way yet and so I needed to head east through Glen Coe until I was back on the West Highland Way following the trail over the Devil’s Staircase. 


After two interesting nights in Glencoe I set off along the minor road that the youth hostel is on and after crossing the main road I headed along the footpath that runs alongside through the upper part of Glen Coe below the awesome Three Sisters of Glen Coe. Dramatic mountains towered either side of me with their heads still clinging to clouds though there were signs that this thick cloud that had stayed with me for almost a week was soon to end. I headed slowly up the valley continuing beyond the turning for the hidden valley which I had taken the day before and past the cars on the road, which were tailed back a long way, now climbing above the road on an excellent track that must be the old road from several hundred years ago, passing the entrance to Lairig Eilde and the northern buttress of Buachaille Etive Beag. I had now emerged from Glen Coe into the sunshine which was breaking through the clouds and I felt ecstatic at being in this fabulous mountain scenery with the sun shining. Unfortunately the excellent path eventually came to an end at a car park and beyond that the path was sketchy at best and often very wet until I finally reached the course of the West Highland Way at the start of the Devil’s Staircase.


This is easily the steepest part of the whole trail, but from my perspective the path is relatively easy as it zigzags clearly up the hillside until finally depositing me at the top of the pass between Stob Mhic Mhartuin and Beinn Bheag. I decided this would be a good place for me to stop and have my lunch, despite the large of numbers of people also there and passing through, before setting off myself down the clear path that was now bathed in sunshine, though thick cloud still clung to all the mountains. I really enjoyed walking along this path with good views into valley of the River Leven, even if not of the mountains, while bathed in sunlight. This was a prolonged descent, first crossing the small stream Allt a’ Choire Odhair-bhig and then over the tip of the ridge Sròn a’ Choire Odhair-bhig before a steeper descent brought me to the crossing of another stream, Allt a’ Choire Odhair-mhòir. Eventually my enjoyment was ruined by reaching a wide track that was really just the road to the vast Blackwater Reservoir. This eventually led me into Kinlochleven, strictly following the West Highland Way all the way, where I bought some food, topped up my water bottles and then set off to find somewhere to wild camp. Soon after crossing the River Leven, on my way into Kinlochleven, I had seen a sign for the Ciaran Path, which intrigued me so I decided to see where it took me and I was blown away by what I found.


It took me through gorgeous woodland with steep slopes above the River Leven through scenery that was so wild and unspoilt I could hardly believe I was in crowded Britain. It breaks my heart that we don’t get such unspoilt terrain more often in Britain, but I was frustrated at not getting good views through the trees, though a couple of times I had breaks in the vegetation where I could get a more open view of the amazing landscape. It was very hot in the sheltered valley, while dragging my heavy rucksack slowly uphill, so the water that had only just obtained in Kinlochleven didn’t last very long. Eventually I emerged from the trees to reach the enormous Blackwater Reservoir, and while I knew that there is a bothy at Loch Chiarain, it was still a long way away, and the walk along the Ciaran Path had completely worn me out, so I had no energy left to keep going. As soon as I found a source of water I stopped and put up my tent. The heatwave that England had been enduring for many days was now finally coming to Scotland, so even though the clouds had still not lifted from the mountains I was hopeful that in the following days I would finally be able to enjoy some fabulous mountain walking. Meanwhile, that evening I lay in my tent gazing across Blackwater Reservoir at the mountains that I had crossed on the Devil’s Staircase earlier in the day and looked forward to the mountains that I would be climbing in the next couple of days.

No comments: