Tuesday 30 October 2007

Beinn Bhreac & Beinn Bharrain

Thursday 12th April 2007

After my excesses of the day before I decided that for this walk I would take things easy and do a easier walk over the hills on the western side of the island. Spurning the bus I walked from Lochranza in bright sunshine along the road as far as the next village along the coast at Catacol Bay. I really should have continued on to Thundergay but I couldn't be bothered to continue walking along the road so I tried to find a way up onto the hillside to 'cut the corner' to the mountain, but of course 'Short cuts make long delays', and after dragging myself up onto the top of the hill I had do a long and tiring tramp through heather and bracken while barely gaining any height. The clear blue skies may have produced amazing views but it was making the slog very hard going.

Eventually I reached the path from Thundergay up to the picturesque Fhion Lochain with the first hill directly ahead of me. Crossing the path I climbed up the ridge on the western side of the lake, where I had my lunch at the top of Meall Biorach. All the hard work of the day was now over and for the rest of the walk I had a slow, relaxing stroll along the ridge over several tops that culminate at a Graham. At the 653m top a cold wind was blowing so as I climbed up to the top of Beinn Bhreac, despite the clear skies, I had to put my cagoule on. The views across to the Corbetts, in the east that I'd climbed the day before, were amazing and as I crossed Bealach an Fharaidh my eyes were locked on the hills to my left.

After climbing up to the trig point at the top of the Graham, Mullach Buidhe, I took a longing look at the north-easterly ridge and it's scrambling possibilities. Unfortunately I had one more hill to top so pulled myself away I walked around to the top of Beinn Bharrain. Once again the views were stunning, this time westwards across the Kilbrannon Sound and also south over the island, but the delights didn't last as I turned my head towards the bottom of the hill. At the end of the northern ridge I had to cross boggy ground to the Allt Gobhlach, which I followed beside it's southern bank all the way into Purnmill. This became increasingly difficult as I passed through farmland and a negotiation of the wooded ravine to gain access into Purnmill. I should have crossed over to the northern bank where the path would have led me safely down to the road. C'est la vie.

No comments: