Saturday 13 October 2007

The Cheviot Hills

Monday 28th August 2006

This was "The Big One" as described on the website that I got it from (cheviotwalks.co.uk), and it did turn out to be big as it took me 9½ hours to complete, and according to my new GPS I travelled over 36 km. It was certainly a tiring one, but fortunately the weather was good (most of the time) and afforded me with tremendous views in all directions. This was the walk that I had been building up to on this holiday, and indeed the whole point of the weekend had been for a chance to walk up the Cheviot, and while I was there I walked up all the other hills in the area that are above two thousand feet. First off I walked up to the top of Scald Hill above the Harthope valley and on to the Cheviot itself. From there on I followed the Pennine Way over Cairn Hill to the Scottish border and followed that south to my next top at Windy Gyle, which was very windy! There I had my lunch before heading down the hill into the Usway valley and back uphill to Bloodybush Edge. By now I was beginning to feel tired from the constant bog-hopping and ups and downs as I headed east following a fence to yet another top: Cushat Law. From there I headed steeply downhill, pathless all the way, into the upper Breamish valley. With plenty of walking still ahead of me I climbed up to the top of the hill opposite passing over Shielcleugh Edge and Coldlaw Cairn. It was six-thirty by the time I'd finally bog-hopped my way onto Comb Fell with still another 'mountain' to go. With lengthening shadows all around me I passed over Hedgehope Hill and literally ran down the other side of the hill passing over Long Crags and beside Housey Crags until finally I reached the bottom of the valley and back to my car. My mammoth walk was finally over.

No comments: