Tuesday 16 October 2007

The Black Mountains

Monday 11th September 2006

For this walk I returned to the place of my first ever mountain walk: the Black Mountains. These hills are very familiar territory for me and evoke memories of the many walks that I have done in the Black Mountains over the years, and consequently they hold a special place in my heart so it is always a pleasure to return. My route on this occasion was a long one that went from one end of the Vale of Ewyas to the other. Starting at the Capel y Ffin Youth Hostel I joined the footpath behind the hostel and followed it all the way into the actual village/hamlet of Capel y Ffin. From there I followed a side road up to the Grange and up the side of the valley onto the western ridge at a point marked on maps as 'Blacksmith's Anvil' (actually just a cairn). Heading south from the cairn I was now in my element and enjoying the warm weather despite the hazy views. Passing over Bal Mawr I descended to the saddle of Bal Bach and turned left down Cwm Bwchel dropping all the way down to Llanthony Priory. I have visited this ruin, which is such an icon of the valley, many times over the years and it still commands my attention despite the distraction of its awe-inspiring setting in this beautiful valley. Going around to the north of the ruin I headed back up the hillside onto the eastern ridge of the valley and joined the Offa's Dike Path. The next couple of hours was an endless march across the moor at the top of the ridge heading north, passing Capel y Ffin in the valley below and eventually arriving at Hay Bluff on the northern end of the ridge.

With extensive, hazy views across the Wye valley ahead of me I descended to the Gospel Pass and climbed up to the top of Twmpa. These two hills were the first mountains I ever climbed. After a lifetime spent confined to the Peak District I had eventually been lured out by the promise of a 'town of books', and after visiting Hay I came up to the car park below Hay Bluff. That first day I climbed Hay Bluff and then after crossing the Gospel Pass I climbed Twmpa. That day, as on this walk, I headed south from Twmpa along the tongue, Darren Lwyd, walking along the ridge all the way to the terminus above Capel y Ffin. I didn't have long to go now with a descent through bracken down to and along a wall that took me back to the Youth Hostel. This was another great walk in a great area for walking.

No comments: