Thursday 20 September 2018

Beinn Mheadhonach

Monday 27th August 2018

Climbing mountains was not part of my plan for this holiday, which is a shame so it was tempting to sneak in a mountain before I headed elsewhere. It would be my only mountain in Scotland this year, but at least I would have got up a mountain in Scotland. Despite a bit of drizzle first thing in the morning when I got on the train in Pitlochry, it had stopped soon after I got off the train at the next station along the line, in Blair Atholl, and breaks in the clouds made me hopeful for better weather. Heading along the road from the station I turned left immediately after crossing the River Tilt into the woodland that follows the river upstream. I had needed little motivation to return to Glen Tilt to walk beside the fabulous river and stunning valley that is full of delights for many miles and immediately on my reacquaintance I was once again mesmerised by the brown, heather-stained waters that rushes over a rock-filled bed lined by glorious woodland. My previous visits to Glen Tilt have been in late spring when this wood is full of the white flowers of wild garlic and although the flowers have now gone I still had a lovely walk through the wood with the sound of the river roaring over the rapids close by.

Far too soon the path ends at a road that took me over the Old Bridge of Tilt and after a short distance I turned right onto a track that heads steeply up Glen Tilt. I soon realised that on my previous visits to Glen Tilt I had descended the valley and consequently I was now enjoying a new experience with plenty of time to explore, so when I noticed a yellow topped post marking a path heading into the trees I took it heading down to the river. It emerges overlooking the gorge, but with a view of some sort of dam, perhaps, judging from the map, where the Fender Burn joins the river. Unimpressed I followed the path back onto the main track and later continued to follow the yellow topped posts branching off the track and heading up the side of the valley, however after crossing a stream I wondered where this path was going so possibly erring on the side of caution I turned right along a grassy lane that was still wet from the recent rain, descending all the way back down onto the main track and across the river. With occasional views down to the spectacular river and through cold, dark conifer trees I continued along the lane until I reached Gilbert’s Bridge where after crossing over I rejoined the yellow marked trail through a gate and before long I was descending onto a meadow at the bottom of the valley.

Ahead of me were views of heather-clad hills to the north of the valley as the sun briefly came out which made the whole scene look great. The narrow path through the meadow eventually returned me to the track as the yellow Glen Tilt Trail continues up the valley until I reached a bridge over the Allt Mhairc where a little climbing brought me to a viewpoint over Glen Tilt besides some ruins of old houses, sadly typical in the Highlands of Scotland. After a look at the view I left the trail behind me and followed a faint path that follows the stream away from the valley towards two mountains that were clearly in sight ahead of me. Beinn a’ Chait is to the left while my target lay to the right, Beinn Mheadhonach, which was reached by crossing an ancient bridge that is contradictorily called New Bridge. This doesn’t seem to lead anywhere so I was curious to know why it had been built in such an isolated location, although maybe hundreds of years ago this wasn’t such an isolated location and people once lived in these now empty glens. A narrow path took me up the hillside as I steadily climbed broad grass and heather slopes under grey clouds with the sun proving very illusive this day. After a long and tiring climb, the terrain steepened where rock began to appear on the ground and I found a well-built cairn nearby that looks back down towards Glen Tilt.

Since this cairn is not on the path I had difficulty getting back and eventually found a narrow trail that follows the eastern slopes of the hill, but although this was initially a good path and sheltered me from the cold winds, it soon became evident that this was no more than a sheep-trod and began to fade. Eventually I turned straight uphill and clambered steeply through heather and bilberry to slowly climb back up to the top of the ridge where the terrain had narrowed noticeably. With scattered rock covering the ground the ridge was noticeably narrower at this point than on any of the other smooth-sided hills in the area, and it was this that had drawn my eye on the map and led to my climbing this particular hill. Beyond, the ridge broadens into a grassy dome with a cairn at the top, although the map seems to indicate this is not the summit, so I kept going along the broad ridge and passed over another broad grassy dome, however when I looked back it seemed obvious that the cairn was actually the summit of this Corbett-classed mountain. When the terrain finally started to descend at the end of the summit ridge I stopped and found a sheltered place to have my lunch while gazing out over the open mountain scenery.

If I’d felt energetic I could have continued along the ridge passing over several lesser tops before climbing to reach the Munro of Beinn Dearg, but I wasn’t bothered. I had been looking for a pretty straight-forward and relatively easy walk up a mountain and I was in no mood to strain myself simply to bag a Munro. Beinn Mheadhonach is more than nine hundred metres high so is almost of Munro status, but I wasn’t interested in classifications. The hills to the north were lying under dark clouds and there was a cold wind blowing so after eating I wrapped up and headed back along the ridge passing the summit cairn and the delightfully narrowing terrain with brighter views south ahead of me. Slowly I retraced my steps down the heather slopes, back across the New Bridge and eventually returned to the viewpoint over Glen Tilt. Now I resumed my progress along the Glen Tilt Trail on a narrow path following the yellow-topped posts up the valley while enjoying tremendous views along glorious Glen Tilt despite grey skies. Just as I was beginning to think I had made a mistake in not heading straight back to Blair Atholl, Gaw’s Bridge finally came into view where, after crossing, I turned back to start heading down the valley.

Before too long the yellow-topped posts took me off the main track again onto a grassy lane that keeps above the trees maintaining the contour high above Glen Tilt until finally I reached a tarmac road that led me steeply down to Bridge of Tilt. This was a great little walk that allowed me to stretch my legs climbing a mountain, even if it’s not a Munro, so once high I was able to enjoy that great feeling of being amongst Scottish mountains. The opportunity to explore Glen Tilt was a wonderful bonus to this walk and more than made it worth the effort as this is a fabulous valley with great views throughout its length.

No comments: