Monday 22 October 2007

Castle Crag and the High Spy ridge

Monday 18th December 2006

I was back in the Lake District again after a two month drought during which I hadn't done any walking. Not since that glorious morning in October when I had walked up Snowdon had I donned my walking boots, but the long wait had finally come to an end, and after a warm and wet autumn, Christmas was finally here and I had two weeks off from work. That was all the excuse I needed to come back to the Lake District for the fourth time in the year, this time I was staying in the recently refurbished Keswick Youth Hostel for the entirety of my stay. During my stay I hoped to bag several tops that had alluded me thus far, starting with Castle Crag.

Setting off from home very early I was in Keswick by 10.30 and with glorious blue skies everywhere it was difficult to resist the temptation to go up Blencathra but eventually I caught the bus to Borrowdale. Alighting at Rosthwaite I crossed the river and began to climb zigzagging through trees following a clear miner's track using my new walking pole for the first time. I'd never used one before but I'd recently decided to buy one to help with my footing in wet, wintry weather. Reaching the corner of the field I crossed a stile and climbed up the spoil heap on a good path passing a disused quarry on the way. At the summit the views north over Derwent Water to Skiddaw and Blencathra were stunning as were the views south across Borrowdale.

Dropping down to the Rigghead quarry road I headed north but then rather than enter the wood I followed the tree line on a faint and often tricky path where my new walking pole became tremendously useful in helping me to negotiate all the obstacles. My intention had been to go round to Cockley How and take Wainwright's route up High Spy, however when I reached the stream that comes down from Nitting Haws I discovered a path that climbs beside the stream and seemed to go all the way up to the felltop. Despite the steepness of the terrain I dragged myself up the path summoning every ounce of strength I possessed to get to the top. Eventually and with great relief I arrived at Nitting Haws where the gradient levelled off but I still had a long climb ahead of me before I could get to the top of the ridge. Pinpointing a prominent top I resolutely set my focus on it, heading straight towards it and collapsed when I reached it, but I was not at the summit of High Spy. I was on Minum Crag.

After lunch I spurned the summit, far to the south, and headed north, taking in the cairn on Blea Crag on my way to Maiden Moor and down to Cat Bells. With the difficulty of my climb to the top over I sailed along the ridge enjoying the clear views in the diminishing light. This is not something I'm used to; the sun doesn't usually set as early as quarter to four when I'm walking. I had previously done very little walking at this time of the year, and none in the Lake District. On this holiday I had to get used to it as I was there for three nights, so I would have three more days of these early sunsets. When I got down to the bottom of Cat Bells it was quite dark and I still had an hour's walk ahead of me before I could get to Keswick; fortunately I have taken this route several times before so I made it into Keswick with no problems at all.

No comments: