Sunday 9 December 2007

West Highland Way, part 5

Sunday 18th July 2004

The weather for this walk on the West Highland Way was much more changeable than the earlier days, at one moment it would be raining, and the next the sun was shining, consequently my waterproofs stayed on almost all the time. I didn’t leave the West Highland Way Sleeper particularly early because I stayed for breakfast on the station and then once I did get started I didn't go very quickly as I just couldn’t get comfortable! This is very important when walking and I was just not able to feel right, which was made worse by insect bites in just the wrong place and straps that wouldn’t go in the right place. Add to that, for some reason, I had decided to wear my fleece even though the day before I hadn’t worn it, but it had seemed like a good idea at the time. So why did I put the fleece on now? Eventually I took the fleece off and never looked back as I raced past Inveroran Hotel and past the great desolate area of Rannoch Moor. This is an awe-inspiring place, so it is a pity that the path was so busy. 
 

After lunch on the bridge by the Kingshouse Hotel I headed towards the top of Glen Coe surrounded by absolutely stunning scenery that is dominated by the blunt end of Buachaille Etive Mór. At the bottom of the Devil’s Staircase I took my waterproof coat off, stripped down to my t-shirt and raced up the staircase. I timed myself and I took just half an hour, and it didn’t start raining until I got to the top, which was nice of the weather. With my waterproofs now back on I headed down into Kinlochleven on terrain that I can finally describe as real walking, as it is the sort that I’m used to finding in the Lake District. I was hoping for a chance to do some proper walking up a mountain later in this holiday, but the weather on this walk was not too good, so maybe in the second week of my holiday I would find some good weather. Meanwhile I spent the night at the Blackwater Hostel and then I would have just one more day of the West Highland Way to go.

No comments: