Saturday 9 February 2008

The Mell Fells and Hallin Fell

Sunday 3rd February 2008

Last Sunday I only had the morning free in the Lake District before having to come home, so I decided to take advantage of having my car with me by going up three Wainwrights that ordinarily I wouldn’t easily be able to get up. First was Great Mell Fell which was a little muddy as all the snow from the day before had gone, though looking across towards the Dodds I could see some snow on the high fells, and I’m sure the Helvellyn range still had plenty. There was no chance of any snow on these low-lying hills after all the rain on Saturday and with the warmer temperatures it was just muddy, but it was also very windy, although not excessively so on this fell. These conditions reminded me of 5th January when it was windy after the snow had melted then, fortunately I had more options now and it wasn’t too windy at the top. I think Great Mell Fell must be protected from the wind by the Helvellyn range and all the other fells in that direction. For the walk I parked near Brownrigg Farm and walked up through the trees on a steep, muddy path all the way up to the summit and then I just came all the way back down again. It was not a bad little walk really, and next I nipped across to Little Mell Fell.

Little Mell Fell was just as windy and steep and muddy, and it’s a pity the light was poor as the views were not very good either. It wasn’t actually that muddy, the only really muddy bit was the field next to the road, which was exceptionally muddy, so I had to get back into my car with very muddy feet. The main path from ‘The Hause’ is really steep, straight up the fell, but there are side paths, possibly made by the farmer or sheep (or other walkers), that can be used to zigzag up or down the fell, which is what I did coming down to ease my knee. This was a nice little fell, but nothing special with really no distinguishing features, not even trees like on Great Mell Fell.

Hallin Fell was much better compared with the previous two fells that had been just grassy hills. This fell has lots of outcrops, is bracken covered and amazing views of Ullswater and up Martindale into the Far Eastern Fells. From the car park opposite the church I took a roundabout route to the top going round the eastern side of the fell where I enjoyed extensive views over Ullswater before climbing the steep rocky ground to the top where it was exceptionally windy. At the obelisk on the summit the wind was so strong that if I stepped out from behind it I was almost blown over. I was literally hanging on to the obelisk for dear life (okay, not literally, but I had great fun pretending that I was!). Trying to walk away from the obelisk into the wind was really difficult, so I had to lean into the wind by some way. It was weird looking down at the ground and seeing my feet a long way behind me!

I knew it was going to be very windy last Sunday as the forecast had always promised it, and yet I still really enjoyed the walks, even though strong winds ruined my walk up Steel Fell on 5th January. On that occasion I had a side wind which was much more unpleasant, and there was nothing I could do about it (I also had a cold and I was tired at  the end of a holiday that had not been good). This short weekend away, however, was really enjoyable, though it probably cost me quite a bit, not least in petrol, but it was good and I thought I should do it again sometime.

1 comment:

detroit dog said...

Welcome back! Glad your knee is better.

Writing from recording is tricky. Writing in the moment instead of reflecting on it. But you seem to do well at mixing the two.

I do like your photographs.