Thursday 29 October 2009

Cadair Idris

Wednesday 2nd September 2009

Cadair Idris was the latest mountain in my round of Great Welsh Mountains and the latest mountain for me to become drenched on. In the morning, though, the weather was very good as it wasn't raining, and briefly the sun even came out. I parked near the Minffordd Hotel so I could walk up Cadair Idris by the same route that I had used last time, in 2004, which is the best route, the Minffordd Path. After paying my parking fee I proceeded up the path that climbs steeply beside the Nant Cadair, past many stunning waterfalls. After a long tiring climb the path finally levelled off and I was able to enjoy the surroundings in the increasingly good weather.

On reaching Llyn Cau I walked to the shore and had a good look around while taking many pictures. The cliffs around the lake are stunning and give the surroundings a great alpine atmosphere that must rank as one of the best in Wales. Reluctantly I left the side of the lake and returned to the path climbing up to the top of the cirque along the rocky top to Craig Cwm Amarch. This was a fantastic walk on wonderfully rugged terrain in surprisingly good weather. By now the clouds had lifted from the summit of Cadair Idris and the sun was out as I enjoyed the best weather I had experienced all week. It was looking like it was going to be a fantastic day, except for the dark clouds that were quickly approaching. Continuing the climb along the top of the cliffs, Craig Cau, I descended to a col and up the steep rocky slope to the summit of Cadair Idris. By the time I reached the top it was already covered in clouds and rain was not far off.

Going for shelter in the small building near the summit I had my lunch and planned my onward route while heavy rain hammered into the roof. When I went up Cadair Idris in 2004 I had walked along the eastern ridge all the way to the end at Gau Craig but that had been in excellent weather. Now, when I eventually emerged from the shelter during a lull in the storm there were fleeting views of the Mawddach estuary, but the bad weather had not gone far. By the time I’d walked a short distance across the summit plateau it had started raining again and I knew what route I would take down. I would descend by the usual return route for the Minffordd Path down the southern slopes of Mynydd Moel.

Soon the clouds had enveloped me once again which made route finding a little tricky especially at one point when I wasn't sure where to go until the clouds opened up slightly and opportunely. The terrain at this point was particularly rock-strewn and I would have been quite enjoyable had I been able to see anything as I was perched near the top of steep ground. The views in good weather across the Llyn Cau bowl from this point must be tremendous. Eventually I reached a stile over a fence where the path subsequently followed the fence down the hillside through a beautiful display of heather. One of the advantages of walking at this time of the year is the heather that populates many a moor and mountain landscape, but this was a particularly fine display of that most dominant of moorland plants. The path continued down the hill and crossed the Nant Cau rejoining my outward route. This walk had some fantastic moments, mainly in ascent when the weather was good, but the terrain at the top of the mountain was always first class. It’s a pity the descent was spoiled by rain and thick cloud, but I was getting used to that by now! Even in the rain this mountain didn’t fail to satisfy, it is most assuredly one of the Great Welsh Mountains.

No comments: