Saturday 26 December 2009

Red Screes, Fairfield & St Sunday Crag

Friday 1st April 2005
 
This was another cold, wet and windy day, in fact the weather was the worst of my entire holiday, but I still did my intended walk; I'm not afraid of a few drops of rain! When I left Elterwater there was mist in the air, almost a light drizzle, that didn't last long and it stayed dry for more or less the rest of the morning. I walked beside Great Langdale Beck, past the lake Elterwater and past the woefully inadequate waterfall of Skelwith Force. A bit of road walking took me to the start of a bridle path that crosses the southern part of Loughrigg before descending into Ambleside. The village didn't seem too busy as I shopped for some Kendal Mint Cake but it wasn't long before I was heading out of Ambleside and up a road called ‘The Struggle’. 
 
After a mile I turned off onto a footpath on the left that follows the ridge all the way up to the top of Red Screes. It soon clouded over as I ascended the muddy path which robbed me of any views except clouds until I was descending into Grisedale at the end of the walk. After lunch at the top of Red Screes I headed down to the Scandale Pass where it started to rain in earnest and it was a long time before it stopped. Continuing west I followed the path over High Bakestones blindly trusting that the path would take me to the stone wall on the top of the ridge south of Dove Crag, which it did. Turning right I headed over Dove Crag and Hart Crag (presumably, I never actually saw the summits, just clouds) before climbing onto Fairfield. The wind and rain continued as I gingerly descended down to Deepdale Hause and climbed up to St Sunday Crag, where I was hit by a vicious southerly wind. The wind, however, quickly fell away as I descended the northerly side and would you believe it, the sun came out! The clouds broke and a rainbow appeared since, of course, it was still raining. The rainbow, with ends in Grisedale and Glenamara Park, remained as I clambered down to the bottom of Grisedale, lingering above me as I descended. The conclusion of the walk involved climbing over the hill beside Lanty's Tarn, descending into Glenridding and up the valley to the Helvellyn Youth Hostel.

No comments: