Friday 15 April 2011

Brandon Mountain

Friday 16th September 2005

This was my last walk in Ireland, and I ended on a corker. The weather, once again, had played into my hands providing me with clear views across the mountains all day. Despite a cold, stiff breeze the weather was perfect, in fact, it was excellent walking weather. I had been really lucky with the weather throughout the week; I suppose it was the luck of the Irish! Driving across the Dingle Peninsula I parked in Cloghane and set off along a side road, climbing up the side of the hill to Faha, where there is a car park. 

I continued to climb across the hillside following the clearly marked Pilgrim’s Path where white metal posts guided me across the grassy southern slopes of the ridge and around a hill into a rocky cove with Locha Chom an Chnoic topping a long chain of small lakes. With considerable glee, I clambered among the rocks at the head of the cirque and, passing the small loch, began to climb steeply up the cliff face ahead of me. The excellent path zigzagged up onto the top of the main Brandon ridge where I was rewarded for my effort with superb views across the Dingle Peninsula. Climbing up onto the ridge southwards brought me quickly to the summit of Brandon Mountain where the views were even more impressive. Nothing can describe the breathtaking views that I saw across the whole Dingle Peninsula from where I was standing. I was really going to miss this, I didn’t want to leave Ireland!
After lunch I headed south along the ridge, keeping as close to the edge as I dared (which at times was not very close!). Continuing along the ridge I came to the foot of, and began climbing, Brandon Peak, and once I had assailed the top I continued along the narrowing ridge to Gearhane, after which the only way forward was steeply down the hill. As I descended I reflected sadly that I was now leaving the last hill of the last walk of my week in Ireland. I always feel a little sad when I start descending after a good day's walk in the hills, but on my last day in Ireland this was doubly sad. I love hill walking and I love a good day's walk on rocky hills. I always hate having to leave them behind. After crossing an often boggy, grassy plain I descended further to the col with Ballysitteragh (which I had climbed the day before, though in considerably worse weather). Turning left I joined the track that zigzags into the valley and then walked along the road for three or four miles all the way back into Cloghane. This was a slow end to a great walk, but it failed to dampen my feelings at the end of a great walk. I'd had some good walks in Ireland during this week, and I hope it won't be too long before I return.

No comments: