Thursday 16 February 2012

Beacon Hill & Bradgate Park

Monday 19th December 2005 

The day before the walk around the Brecon Beacons described a couple of weeks ago I went for a walk in the best area of Leicestershire for walking. I had the whole week off work and I felt I had to go for a walk somewhere but I couldn't think of anywhere to go, so it was annoying that Monday morning the weather was perfect and I still couldn't think of somewhere to go. In the end I decided to visit two of the highest hills in Leicestershire, though neither are particularly high in the grand scheme of things, but still nevertheless the best that my county has to offer. 

To start the walk I parked in the village of Woodhouse Eaves and walked to the Beacon Hill Country Park. At the top of Beacon Hill is a Bronze Age settlement with views around 360 degrees, and in addition to this there are many interesting things for people to see all around the park including a Native Tree Collection, a Labyrinth and woodland walks. I really like the place and have visited it many times. (When I can’t get up a mountain, this is where I go.) After a walk through the woods on the lower slopes I climbed up to the 248m summit. The views include most of north Leicestershire including the town of Loughborough and Bardon Hill, the highest hill in Leicestershire, but also the biggest quarry. After wandering around the summit I descended the western rocks and visited the Old Man of Beacon Hill, where the profile of a face can be seen in the rocks. I hadn't really noticed this face before so it was quite a surprise for me to see how distinctive it is. Descending from there I headed through the West Beacon Fields, again somewhere I hadn't really paid much attention to before. This is a young wood with a number of information boards for visitors to see just how useful and important trees are. After leaving the West Beacon Fields I joined the road at a cross roads and proceeded south along the road to the Hunts Hill car park for Bradgate Park. Anyone who lives in Leicestershire knows Bradgate Park. It is probably the most popular tourist attraction in Leicestershire attracting thousands of visits throughout the year. I have been there countless times over the years in all weathers and at all times of the day (or night). Unlike Beacon Hill the park is totally undeveloped having been given by Charles Bennion in 1928 to "the city and county of Leicester that for all time it might be preserved in its natural state for the people of Leicestershire." I climbed the hill directly ahead of me and soon arrived at the Old John Tower, a folly bizarrely crafted in the shape of a beer mug, for reasons that are shrouded in legend. For me this tower typifies Leicestershire and will forever hold a special place in my memories because of the many times I have visited it in the past. The paltry 212m height just does not do it any justice for its views across the bracken-covered park and the City of Leicester are quite simply staggering. A small spinney separates the tower from the companion summit that is crowned with a War Memorial and from there I descended all the way down into the village of Newtown Linford. After buying lunch I walked back through the park along the many paths that criss-cross all over, passing Bradgate House on the way, the childhood home of Lady Jane Grey, the nine day Queen. 

At a lesser hill top (a giddy 178m high) I took many pictures of the views around 'Old John' and its two summits. As I descended the hill I was surprised to come across a small herd of deer. There are a lot of deer in Bradgate Park, but they usually keep away from the tourists so it was a surprise and a joy for me to find so many of them together. After taking even more pictures I left the park and walked through Swithland Wood back to Woodhouse Eaves and my car. This was a simple walk but it shows that even Leicestershire can provide some interesting walking.

No comments: