Thursday 20 March 2014

Snowdon for the second time

Wednesday 3rd September 2003

The day before this walk I climbed Snowdon for the first time taking a roundabout route over the western hills before climbing to the top along the Snowdon Ranger Path, while my descent route was in a roughly northerly direction down the Llanberis Path. The day after that first ascent of Snowdon I climbed the mountain again, and this time I came up from the south and down towards the east. I don’t know whether I’d always planned on climbing Snowdon twice or whether the poor weather I’d experienced the previous day convinced me to try again, though it certainly wouldn’t be the only time I try something similar: in 2007 I climbed Ben Lawers in terrible weather only to climb it again from the opposite direction in considerably better weather the day after. Perhaps what I’d seen of Snowdon the first time was enough to convince me to climb the mountain again. Snowdon has had an odd pull for me and has drawn me back year after year when other mountains have been shamelessly ignored.

Whatever the reason for my return I parked in the car park in Nant Gwynant and headed up the Watkin Path, which the Snowdonia National Park website explains was “named after Sir Edward Watkin, Liberal Member of Parliament and railway entrepreneur who retired to a chalet in Cwm Llan on the foothills of Snowdon. A track to the South Snowdon Slate Quarry through Cwm Llan already existed, so to enable visitors to walk all the way up Snowdon, Edward Watkin created a path from the quarry to the summit. The path was officially opened in 1892 by the Prime Minister William Gladstone, who was 83 years old at the time. He addressed a crowd of over 2000 people from a rock on the side of the path, which is known today as the Gladstone Rock.” The path is very pleasant as it climbs past picturesque waterfalls into Cwm Llan and past the Gladstone Rock and the remains of the quarry before climbing steeply up the hillside.

I remember being desperate for a drink on this climb because I’d forgotten to fill a bottle with water before I started so half way up the path I stopped at a fast-moving stream to fill my bottle. I’d done this earlier in the year in the Lake District when I’d ran out of water due to the hot weather and now I was able to replenish my thirst from the water pouring down the side of Snowdon’s neighbour, Y Lliwedd. I will always fill my water bottle before starting a walk if possible, but so long as certain precautions are taken stream water can be used, and sterilising tablets are available, even though I’ve never used them. This water must have been really revitalising as I then zoomed up the steeply zigzagging hillside, so fast that an old man resting at the top commented on my speed when I reached him. I had no answer for him, but ten years later I’m sure I’d be slower now.

At Bwlch Ciliau, a level stretch of walking led me to the loose screes on the steep slopes below the summit of Snowdon and on this occasion low cloud. Although the weather was better than the day before I still didn’t have a view from the summit and I had to negotiate the complex screes in poor visibility. Eventually I reached the summit of Snowdon where I was able to visit the view-finder at the very top and explore the old summit building that has now been replaced with a new building, and I’m not sorry to see the old building go. The day before I had walked across Bwlch Glas and reached Snowdon’s twin, Garnedd Ugain, at the same time as two men who had just reached the top from the opposite direction having just traversed the knife-edged Crib Goch. They would have been impressed if I’d also the started the traverse of Crib Goch on my own, but I didn’t. The day after, and in better weather, I still didn’t attempt it.

Instead I turned right at the bottom of Bwlch Glas onto the Pyg Track, one of the most popular routes up Snowdon, and in my opinion the best. I have walked along the Pyg Track many times and always enjoyed it, despite what the weather may be doing. By this time the weather was much better with the summit of Snowdon, now that I was not at it, clear of clouds and revealing a gloriously sunny day. Despite my disappointment I was able to have an enjoyable walk down the satisfyingly craggy Pyg Track that led me all the way down to the car park at Pen-y-Pass. These days there is a good bus service around Snowdon that links all the car parks, but I’m not sure if this was the case in 2003. Instead, a thoroughly enjoyable walk took me down the hill beside the Afon Trawsnant, joining the Afon Glaslyn at the Glaslyn Hydro-electric works and through beautiful unspoilt countryside, past Llyn Gwynant, all the way back to my car in Nant Gwynant.

This was a much better walk than the day before, partly because of the better weather, but mainly because of the far superior routes. The Watkin Path and the Pyg Track are easily the best of the six main routes up Snowdon and on this walk I was able to enjoy their delights for the first time. Snowdon continued to draw me with my third visit the following February when the weather was astonishingly good with clear blue skies all day, stunning views from the summit and, surprisingly for February, not a trace of snow. Ever since I have been drawn back to Snowdon every year, although in recent years the summit has become so crowded I have been put off from climbing it so I didn’t climb Snowdon in 2013, the first year I haven’t been to the top since I first climbed the mountain in 2003, but I’m sure it won’t be long before I feel the pull again and brave the crowds.

No comments: