Thursday 28 February 2019

The Ridgeway: Barbury Castle

Thursday 5th April 2018

After a day spent walking from near Swindon to the River Thames at Goring along the Ridgeway trail, I returned to my usual pattern for these walks as I drove to Barbury Castle, which is not far from Swindon. This is an Iron Age hill fort and lies on the Ridgeway trail so after parking beside it I immediately set off along the trail, however not over the fort but in the other direction, east. The weather for this walk was completely different to the day before when I had rain and strong winds almost all day as now the sun was shining through virtually cloudless skies. Thanks to the free-draining nature of chalk downs the ground had dried surprisingly quickly despite the heavy rains of the last few days. Consequently I was able to stride out on firm grass under the fabulous weather across the gorgeous landscape of the Marlborough Downs along the grassy top of Smeathe’s Ridge. I had not seen much on the previous day, but now I could see far and wide with fabulous walking underfoot alongside ranges where horses were being trained at a gallop on the springy turf.

Gradually I began to descend into the valley of the River Og and around the village of Ogbourne St. George where I was already beginning to feel hot despite the morning chill that lingered in the air. After stripping down to a thin top I strode up the slopes on the other side of the valley along lanes and byways such as I was often finding on the Ridgeway trail. This section of the trail has good paths with muddy bits coming only rarely which made the walk a lot better than the day before and considerably better than the horrendous mud I had found in the Chiltern Hills. I quickly strode out along the trail passing Liddington Castle fort, over the M4 motorway and up to the top of Charlbury Hill. Barbury Castle hill fort, where I had started, and Liddington Castle hill fort are just two examples of a string of forts that would have lined the ancient Ridge Way road that lends its name to the National Trail. I wondered as I passed whether there used to be a fort on top of Charlbury Hill, but this doesn’t appear to have been the case while the next fort along the Ridge Way was Uffington Castle, which I had visited on the previous day.

Eventually I reached the Ashbury crossing where I had started my walk along the Ridgeway the previous day and there I left the trail to head south along the road. However, I soon tired of walking along the road so when I came to a footpath on my right I took it around the edge of the woods that adorn Ashbourne House, which is a National Trust property. I didn’t explore the park as I still had many miles to cover to get back to my car although my route back was in doubt. My original plan had involved a lot of road walking that would take me all the way down to the village of Aldbourne, however I had already tired of road walking and that wasn’t the most direct route. Looking at a map I had an idea, as I was walking along, to turn left onto a byway that heads west and rejoin the Ridgeway somewhere south of Liddington Castle. The flaw in my plan was that I didn’t have a map of this precise location as I was in a gap between my Ridgeway map and my O.S. Marlborough Downs map. All I could do was keep heading south and hope I came across the westward byway that I wanted, but inevitably I missed it and by the time I realised I was stuck on the original route through Aldbourne.

After passing over the M4 motorway I headed through the village of Baydon and frustratingly all the way along a road to Aldbourne where I turned onto the Swindon road eventually coming off onto a byway that heads almost straight west towards Barbury Hill. It was now getting quite late in the day and I rather tired while the weather had turned colder when clouds finally ruined the clear skies and a cold wind lowered the temperature meaning that the lovely weather that I had enjoyed while on the Ridgeway was now a distant memory. The remaining walk was a slog as I headed over the ridge that carries the Ridgeway trail and hours earlier had carried me on it in sunnier and happier moments, but now I wearily descended the steep slope on the other side to a busy road. The walk ended on Gypsy Lane climbing steeply up to top of Barbury Castle, while all the way cursing myself that I had parked at the top of a hill. The first half of this walk, along the Ridgeway, was pretty good in fabulous sunny weather along good, dry paths that were enjoyable to walk upon. The return to Barbury Castle was a hard, tiring slog and calculating the total distance now it comes out at a gruelling twenty-seven miles, so I just wish I’d come up with an easier walk.

No comments: