Thursday 21 March 2019

Dimminsdale and Calke Abbey

Saturday 17th February and 10th March 2018

Ever since I first encountered the nature reserve at Dimminsdale, on the border between Leicestershire and Derbyshire, I have made a point of returning every year to see the stunning display of snowdrops that are extra special at this time of the year when everything else is still hibernating for winter. Last year was no different as I parked at the southern end of Staunton Harold Reservoir as I had before, but this time I headed away from Dimminsdale at first onto a permissive path that is described as the Staunton Harold Ridgeway and affords stunning views over the valley. Unfortunately I was more concerned with staying upright as the ground was very muddy and there were not many opportunities to admire the view. Coming off the fields the terrain improved as I entered a small area of woodland and started to descend a delightful path that was perched high above the steep valley slopes. When I came out of the trees I beheld a wondrous sight down to the stately Staunton Harold Hall and Church.

I had never taken this route before and was quite taken by the view before me that looked spellbinding that included manufactured gardens even though I usually prefer wilder surroundings. Feeling somewhat as if I was intruding I descended the steep grassy slopes and crossed the causeway between the ponds and walking past the front of the hall I tried to have a look around Staunton Harold Church. This is owned by the National Trust, but it didn’t seem to be open so I walked back past the front of the hall and paused beside the northern pond to take a few pictures before moving on around the back of the hall where I found the Ferrers Centre for Arts & Crafts and Staunton Harold Nurseries & Garden Centre. After a brief stop at the garden centre where I resisted the temptation to buy anything I continued on my walk passing through the Marie Curie Cancer Care Field of Hope. I remember walking through this field a few years earlier when it was full of daffodils, but I was now a few weeks too early.

Another muddy field brought me to Heath End on the route of the National Forest Way and Ivanhoe Way. Both of these head straight towards Dimminsdale but I was delaying that delight as I headed across the road and onto a path into Calke Park. This was just as muddy as the path I had encountered earlier so I was began to despair. The purpose of this walk had actually been to reconnoitre a route for taking some people from work for a walk a few weeks later, and so far all I’d found was mud. In the event on that occasion we had headed straight into Dimminsdale where I showed them the delights of the wondrous displays of snowdrops that still looked amazing despite clearly being past their best. Three weeks earlier I hadn’t stayed in Calke Park very long as being unable to contain my anticipation any longer I headed back to Dimminsdale where I found a bountiful display of snow drops at their very best covering the ground. After taking many photos my patience was rewarded as the setting sun finally came out to spotlight these delightfully delicate flowers.

Three weeks later, after visiting Dimminsdale, we made our way along good cyclepaths into Calke Park avoiding the muddy fields that I had encountered earlier. Despite the Beast from the East having passed through Britain only a week or two earlier, these paths were easy to walk on and relatively dry as we headed through Poker’s Leys wood and joined the route of the National Forest Way. Upon reaching the Ticknall Tramway tunnel we turned off the trail and plunged through the long, dark tunnel to enter the limeyards. I first entered this fascinating area the year before and was keen to show it off to my work colleagues who joined me in exploring this former lime quarry. We had a good look around the area where the lime used to be prepared in deep kilns and the bridges that still remain as part of the tramway that took this lime off to the nearby Ashby Canal and around the country. Eventually we turned south out of the limeyards to rejoin the National Forest Way now heading into the heart of Calke Park.

Passing Betty’s Pond and Mere Pond we followed the National Forest Way around the deer sanctuary where we could see the deer all huddled close together keeping warm in the cold weather. The path now descended all the way down to Staunton Harold Reservoir and following the trail we walked along a road passing the entrance to Dimminsdale Nature Reserve and back to the car park where we had started. I love snow drops so I was overjoyed to see them at their best last year, and although it was a shame my colleagues were not as lucky they were still impressed by the tremendous displays of snow drops that can be seen at Dimminsdale.

No comments: