Thursday 19 September 2019

Brecon Beacons

Sunday 25th August 2019

During my holiday in Wales I was revisiting some of the great walks that I have done over the last twenty years in Wales to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of my first ever hill walk, which was in the Black Mountains in the Brecon Beacons National Park. I had planned to stay in the Black Mountains for the second walk of my holiday but the weather over the bank holiday weekend was amazing and could not be wasted. With not a cloud in the sky I thought I would take advantage of the good weather and go up the Brecon Beacons, the highest hills that lend their name to the whole park. This walk was inspired by one that I did in 2003 when I parked beside Talybont Reservoir and climbed over the hills to the east of the Brecon Beacons. I was now staying in the Brecon Beacons Danywenallt Youth Hostel, which sits at the foot of the dam for the reservoir, not far from where I’d started in 2003, so now I just started from the hostel walking across the dam. After a short walk along the road away from the reservoir and passing sweet smelling, though invasive, balsam I turned up a narrow road marked “To the hill”, and once off the road passed along a lovely tree-lined path to emerge onto the open hillside and climb a wide path through bracken. Despite my early start it was already quite hot so I was soon sweating as I toiled up the path to reach the heather covered top of Twyn Du.

There, I now had a little wind and gentler slopes so happily made my way along the path towards a prominent hill ahead of me until the gradient steepened once again and I was plagued by flies during the hot, sweaty climb to the majestic pile of stones called Carn Pica. It was difficult enough climbing this steep hill in the hot weather but to have swarms of flying insects buzzing around me at the same time made this particularly arduous. Once at the cairn there was relatively flat terrain before me and thanks to a little breeze mercifully hardly any flies. After passing over the gentle rise of Waun Rydd the view opened up to reveal my destination on the horizon: the Brecon Beacons, and with a good gravel path under my feet this was a wonderfully relaxing walk. Dropping down to the top of Cwm Cwareli I followed the escarpment above the steep cliffs of Craig Cwareli and later Craig Cwmoergwm, while in the distance under clear blue skies the Brecon Beacons kept drawing me on. Eventually I reached the top of Fan y Bîg where I found a large swarm of flying ants hovering over the hot summit rocks, and ahead of me the prospect of a steep descent down to Bwlch ar y Fan.

The day before I had endured a painful descent when coming down Black Hill in the Black Mountains, due to my having forgot to bring my walking poles for this holiday. To prevent any problems on this walk I was wearing knee supports, which I had remembered to bring, and they worked wonders in limiting the pain to barely a whimper. At the bottom of the pass I continued along the ridge steeply climbing to the top of Cribyn while a keen wind kept both the flies at bay and prevented my overheating. During my frequent stops for a breath I took a look at the views and noticed that the Upper Neuadd Reservoir in the valley to the south was empty, which I remembered being full on my previous visits to the area, although they were all a long time ago. The summit of Cribyn was also plagued by flies so I soon headed down to the col and was reminded of my first visit to the Brecon Beacons in 2000 when I had bypassed Cribyn taking the clear path around the southern slopes. From the bottom I now had an even steeper climb all the way up to the top of Pen y Fan, which is not only the highest point in the Brecon Beacons, but the highest point in Britain south of Snowdonia. As such it draws crowds of people, especially when the weather is good, and on this occasion the summit was packed, with long lines swarming up the paths from the Storey Arms.

When I finally, wearily, reached the summit I did not stay but quickly crossed over to its neighbour, Corn Du, and from there turned south away from the crowds. It always amazes me how some mountains draw the non-walker or tourist walker, while most mountains are ignored, and good weather on a bank holiday weekend had ensured that Pen y Fan was at its busiest, so I quickly hurried away. The ridge south, however, was swarming, not with people, but with flying ants. This is a relatively rocky ridge and the flies were in abundance in many places on the path, but I wasn’t bothered by this and since I knew that the last of my steep climbs were over, and with a flat ridge to walk upon, I was in buoyant mood feeling as if I had tonnes of energy left. The day before I had become tired long before the end of the walk, but now I felt I could walk for many more miles, as indeed I would have to do as there was still a long way for me to go. I had an enjoyable walk along that rocky ridge beside the edge overlooking the Taf Fechan valley, and ignored the faint, eroded path down, when I eventually reached it, that I had taken in 2000, in favour of the better path further on that is the route I have taken ever since. I remember this path down as also being badly scarred, but some good repair walk has now been carried out on the steep descent that took me down into the heat at the bottom of the valley.

As I approached, I noticed that the Lower Neuadd Reservoir was empty, like the upper one, but here there was restoration work being carried out on the dam, which meant I couldn’t walk across. Instead I followed a muddy temporary path that took me around to the other side of the valley where I followed a bridlepath along the route of the Taff Trail, briefly up a road and then turned right into an initially felled plantation onto the route of an old railway. This provided me with a very long, but relaxing walk through the Talybont Forest around the southern slopes above Talybont Reservoir all the way back to the hostel. This was a fabulous walk in really good weather where I benefited from staying high for much of the walk, which kept me away from the worst of the heat until eventually I descended for the long walk out. I have very little memory of the walk I did in 2003, but the comment in my diary at the time that it was “around the hills east of the Brecon Beacons” indicates that the walk I had just done was not the walk I did in 2003. When I was doing this walk I assumed that I had done it before, but when I checked afterwards I realised that I hadn’t. This was a fairly strenuous walk, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as I walked over the awesome mountains of the Brecon Beacons in tremendous weather.

No comments: