Thursday 12 December 2019

Moel Siabod

Saturday 7th September 2019

There was rain at the start of this walk, which I felt had been a common occurrence during my holiday in Wales, but this was the last day of my fortnight in Wales where I had been returning to the particularly memorable walks that I have done during the last twenty years. All of the walks that inspired this holiday were from more than ten years ago as I have rarely been back to Wales during that time having felt the pull towards other areas, but it was wonderful returning to Wales for this nostalgia tour. The walk that finished the holiday was first done in 2004, and again in 2005, and I finally managed to do it correctly in 2007, on the third attempt. On those occasions I had parked at Pont-Cyfyng, not far from Capel Curig, where there are three parking spaces, however on this occasion when I got there I found them all occupied. Despite the rain, and despite it not being nine o’clock yet, the National Park seemed to be heaving with people and cars were parked everywhere, particularly around Snowdon. Eventually I found a parking space, not far away, beside the Bryn Glo B&B, and from there I headed back over the bridge of Pont-Cyfyng onto the steep path that leads to the open hillside.

Soon the rain stopped and with improving weather a fabulous walk ensued as I branched left on the gently inclining hill with the craggy bulk of Moel Siabod looming ahead of me. The fabulous path kept to the foot of the rising hill as I weaved around a lake and up to fascinating old quarry workings. The best paths are always made by miners and this one delighted me with every step as I passed a treacherous sunken pit where there was the mesmerising sound of water steadily flowing through the complex workings and trickling into the dark depths of the pool. At the top of the path I turned around to view the stunning scene over the old reservoir and in the distance down the wooded valley of the Afon Llugwy. Turning back ahead of me I now contemplated my options where wrong choices on my previous visits had led to problems. My goal was the Daear Ddu ridge, which lies beyond Llyn y Foel and various routes can be taken past the lake. In 2004 I kept to the foot of the cliff, and in 2005 I went all the way around the lake, but it wasn’t until the third occasion, in 2007, that I finally managed to get onto the ridge, and that was by heading straight towards it across the boggy ground north of the lake.

This time I started off by keeping to the foot of the cliff but then, for some reason, came away to go through the bogs thinking that I could see a dry route through, but ultimately this didn’t work and I ended up in the middle of wet ground. There is a clear saddle at the foot of the ridge, and I had eyes firmly fixed on that target and blind to the wet ground that is in between, so this isn’t the best route, and with hindsight I think that might be going around the lake where a low craggy ridge keeps you out of the bogs. However, that way hadn’t been successful for me in 2005 when it had been so wet at the foot of the ridge I had been unable to climb it. Eventually I got onto Daear Ddu where the fun started as I tackled the rocky ridge that is never too narrow or steep with plenty of options to make the climb as easy or as difficult as you want. The most difficult scrambling is to the right of the ridge on the steep northern edge overlooking Llyn y Foel and I would often veer that way before succumbing to fear and heading safely away towards the gentler southern slopes. As I climbed the sun came out and blue skies appeared ahead of me up the ridge, however the vast views behind me remained under cloud, but I was enjoying every moment as it became warmer than I had experienced at any moment on this holiday since the heatwave over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Eventually I emerged at the summit of Moel Siabod where there are great views over the high mountains of Snowdonia, but at this time most were still clinging to their dark clouds with the exception of Snowdon who was quickly throwing itself clear of any covering. My vantage point perfectly embraced the two ridges either side of the Snowdon horseshoe with the lakes nestled in between where walkers on the miner’s track pass as they head towards that great mountain. I was not in the mood in linger at the summit and wait for the view to improve, so I turned away from Snowdon and onto the north-east ridge. This is gloriously covered in rocks that provided me with tremendous fun as I made my way along the top hopping around from rock to rock slowly descending towards Capel Curig. Eventually the rocks came to an end and the terrain steepened with shattered, slippery stones underfoot that made for a tricky descent until I reached gentler grassy slopes that would slowly lead me all the way back down to the main road where my car waited.

This was not a long walk, which was just as it had been on my three previous visits. In 2004 I walked up Moel Hebog after Moel Siabod, while on the other two occasions I used the early finish to get an early start for my long journey home, and that is also what I did on this occasion. It is a shame that I was leaving so early as the weather was becoming really good, but I did not want to get home late. This was a curious fortnight with many ups and downs, several disappointments, but numerous highlights on loads of fabulous walks. The weather is always difficult in Britain, but although it ruined some of the walks overall it wasn’t as bad as I thought as I did enjoy some good weather. I set out to do some of the great walks again that I had previously done in Wales, and although I did manage to do many of those that I'd planned there are still many that I wasn’t able to do and others that could have been done if I’d had the time. This holiday reminded me that are many fabulous places in Wales where the walking is awesome, and it has prompted me to want to come back to Wales again soon and do some more walking in this glorious country that I had been away from for far too long.

No comments: