Monday 11 May 2020

Bow Fell and Esk Pike from Hard Knott

In 2011 I completed my round of the Wainwright tops in the Lake District and this picture was taken as I was counting down the numbers. Hard Knott is a low hill on the edge of Esk Dale in the southern Fells and after Hard Knott I had just three more Wainwrights to go. On this walk, described here, my goal was simply to bag Hard Knott and I had nothing else planned. I had thought about climbing Crinkle Crags, to the right of the picture, but the steep slopes put me off so I dropped down to the stream and slowly followed my nose up towards the gap between Bow Fell, the prominent peak, and Esk Pike, the less defined peak to the left on the picture. It is a lot further than it looks on the picture and I was exhausted when I finally reached the Ore Gap where I turned left to Esk Pike, which looks insignificant on this picture and it is surrounded by some of the greatest fells in the Lake District, but I love it for that reason.


No comments: