Thursday 16 January 2020

Nentdale and the South Tynedale

Saturday 20th April 2019

In 2009 I walked the middle section of the Pennine Way from Gargrave, on the southern edge of the Yorkshire Dales, to Haltwhistle and then two years later I did the southern section from the start in Edale to Gargrave, but in all the years since I’d never done the final section from Hadrian’s Wall to the end of the trail just over the Scottish border. Last Easter I thought it was about time I completed the Pennine Way, so I caught a train back to Haltwhistle, however technically I had come off the Pennine Way half way between Alston and Haltwhistle in the village of Slaggyford. Therefore I thought the best plan would be to return to Alston and start the Pennine Way from there, so when I got off the train in Haltwhistle I caught a bus to Alston in amazing weather as Britain enjoyed hot, sunny conditions for the Easter weekend. I had already wasted most of the day travelling to Alston and it was now 1.30 in the afternoon, so to fill the rest of the day I came up with a couple of short walks to explore the area. I found one on the website for the Westmorland Gazette claiming this was one of the best walks in Cumbria, which considering that includes the whole of the Lake District is praise indeed.

I took a lane out of Alston to the River Nent following this lovely rock-filled river in a shallow valley, although I must say it is not in the most spectacular scenery, though blissful in the sunny weather. The delightful celandine decorated the landscape while the sweet garlic smell of ramson filled the more wooded areas. The sights and smells of spring are intoxicating to me and keep me going right through the rest of the year. Eventually the valley opened out and I reached a minor road where I had considered continuing up the valley all the way to Nenthead, and then climbing over Alston Moor down into Garrigal before following the River South Tyne all the way back to Alston, but I did not have the time for this rather ambitious walk, or the energy, and I thought it was a little too hot for something so tiring. Instead I followed the Westmorland Gazette’s directions climbing up the road towards Blagill and taking a bridleway through Corby Gates Farm that would take me back to Alston slowly descending back into the valley. At Corby Gates Farm I came across a locked gate and just as I was looking at my map to determine where I should have gone, a farmer shouted the correct route to me from the other side of the field.

Slowly, and rather sheepishly, I returned to Alston, but I had only spent an hour on that walk so I set off again following a footpath south part way up the eastern side of South Tynedale. This was not the most exciting path, but ahead, on the horizon, I could see Cross Fell teasing me in the sunshine. On the two previous occasions that I have been over Cross Fell, the highest point in the Pennines, the weather was poor which gave me no views, so I had considered starting the Pennine Way even earlier, in Dufton, on the other side of the Pennines. However, a lack of accommodation in Dufton or trains up the west coast had prompted me to start in Alston instead, which would provide me with easier days later in the week, but I couldn’t help thinking I could have been going over Cross Fell in this weather. A highlight of my walk south was crossing Nattrass Gill, which is a lovely, deep, wooded ravine that was covered with wild garlic, which smelt divine and doesn't need to be in flower to be delightful. Afterwards I had doubts on the route firstly while crossing a golf course and again at High Scilly Hall where I had no idea where the path went and may have trespassed into their garden. Eventually I found the path that led me steeply down to the Pennine Way and the river at the bottom of South Tynedale.

I was now back on the route that I had taken in 2009 and after a quick look up and down the river headed north along the Pennine Way very quickly getting lost again, which required another farmer to put me right. The Pennine Way comes away from the river and I didn’t, so I had to backtrack onto the trail and follow a rather tedious route through many farmers’ fields until eventually I arrived back in Alston. This afternoon walk was merely a warm up to stretch my legs before resuming my trek along the Pennine Way the following day. The weather was tremendous, but a little too hot, which left me very tired at the end of it. The walk was very challenging navigationally as I seemed to frequently go the wrong way or be unsure of the correct route which ultimately required the stern, but helpful, directions of two different farmers. I didn’t find the paths well signposted and so I hoped that the Pennine Way would be easier to follow on the coming days while making my way north towards the Scottish border.

No comments: