Thursday 6 July 2023

Southern Upland Way: The Scaur Hills

Thursday 25th May 2023

My overnight camp before this walk was a big mistake. I had miscalculated how much food I would need so I had to get to the village of Sanquhar before the end of the day or I would not have anything to eat for dinner. To that end I had set off again along the trail during the evening and eventually stopped beside Blackmark Plantation as the sun was setting, but I was besieged by midges that followed me into the tent and again the following morning as I tried to have my breakfast and get ready. After this horrible end to the day and an even worse start to the next day I consequently had many midge bites around my face so I was more than happy to get away from the savage beasties. Since I had never done any walking in the Southern Uplands before, in my naivety I thought midges were only found in the Highlands, but now I discovered that there are plenty of midges there and they come out earlier than further north. Cloudless skies and no wind was encouraging the midges so I broke camp as quickly as possible and set off again along the Southern Upland Way, crossing the Stroanfreggan Burn and taking a path that climbed through boggy, grassy moorland as I gradually approached another conifer plantation. Thanks to the lack of wind the turbines of Wether Hill Wind Farm were barely turning and I was soon getting hot from the climb until eventually I crossed the fence into the plantation and continued the climb through the trees into the Scaur Hills.


The trail followed the top of a ridge that escapes the conifers and initially climbs to the top of Manquhill Hill, which at 421 metres was easily the highest point on the Southern Upland Way so far. The western slopes of Manquhill Hill were decorated with cotton grass which provided me with a great foreground to the views across to Cairnsmore of Carsphairn, one of the highest peaks in Scotland, south of Glasgow, while behind me were extensive views to the Galloway Hills, but I was more concerned about the view before me towards Benbrack, which was a steep hill that soon I was going to have to climb. The ridge descended for a bit before starting the ascent up grassy slopes where I stopped frequently to admire the views behind which were dominated by Cairnsmore while the Galloway Hills became rather hazy. Eventually I reached the summit where there is a trig point and a huge sculpture of an arch made of stone. At 580 metres above sea level, Benbrack is one of the highest hills on the Southern Upland Way and I was thankful that I was there with clear skies overhead and enjoyed the feeling of being up high as I followed a fence along the ridge passing over Mid Hill and up Cairn Hill to reach Black Hill where I turned north. The trail now began to descend and entered a conifer plantation, though large areas were felled.


After passing Allan’s Cairn the path plunged into a dark covering of conifers where some fallen trees had to be negotiated until eventually I emerged on the other side where the descent steepened taking me all the way down to the Chalk Memorial Bothy near Polskeoch. This had originally been my planned overnight stop, but since my second day on the trail I had been a couple of hours ahead of schedule and following my mad dash the previous evening it was now lunchtime so instead of stopping overnight at the bothy I stopped there for lunch. I wish I had stayed there as it is just a single, large room, which would have made for a great atmosphere, though it is not far from a road so the people who stay there may not be serious walkers. After a rest and refilling my water bottles I set off along the track that soon became a road and into the valley of the Scaur Water, which lends its name to the hills in this area. At first I thought the valley was very bleak with bare, grassy slopes, typically British, but once I finally came off the road and began to climb the side of the hill I was able to see the whole valley and appreciate its charms. Beautifully decorated trail posts with encouraging messages down one side directed me across the side of the hill where I had good views down the valley which steepens pleasingly, especially around Glenwhargen Crag, which looks stunning.


Meanwhile, below Cloud Hill, my attention was arrested back to the path because I had just come across the word “ultreia” on a post which indicates that a hoard of treasure is ahead concealed in a kist, one of thirteen on the Southern Upland Way. So I kept my eyes out and soon I saw something that didn’t look natural and when I investigated I found something marked with the thistle trail sign and inside the kist were specially minted coins. After pocketing one I returned to the footpath and soon entered an area of recently planted conifers before finally climbing up to the top of the ridge and up to the northern slopes of Whing Head. Now I had a long, gradual descent with the broad valley of Nithdale and the village of Sanquhar in the distance ahead of me. I was in no hurry and enjoyed the descent that eventually brought me into Sanquhar where I briefly walked beside the River Nith before passing Sanquhar Castle and along Castle Street into the village. This was a very hilly day on the Southern Upland Way as I crossed the Scaur Hills which includes the highest point on the trail so far. With hindsight I shouldn’t have done my mad dash the previous evening as I could have just gotten up early and so avoided my nightmare overnight camp. Though my day didn’t start well, once I got going I had clear blue skies which made for great views and so long as I kept on drinking I was able to have an enjoyable walk.

No comments: