Monday 26 November 2007

Gowbarrow Fell

Saturday 15th September 2007

Once again during my journey, this time back from Scotland, I stopped off in the Lake District for a rest and a walk. I picked a fell that is not far from Penrith so gave me easy access from the motorway and is very popular, but few of the people who park in the large National Trust car park at Park Brow Foot actually go to the summit. I defied convention by actually going to the top of Gowbarrow Fell, and started by heading from Park Brow Foot on a path that heads away from the beck across the southern flanks of the fell overlooking Ullswater. Unfortunately the weather was poor, overcast and with the highest fells under cloud, but that was having little effect on my appreciation of the surroundings. Veering left I took a path that climbs the fellside to the south-eastern corner of the fell and the top of Yew Crag. After surveying my surroundings from the cairn at the top of the crag for a while, I headed off along the northern flanks of the fell. This was proving to be a fabulous walk as the path hugged the side of the bracken-covered fell gradually gaining height. I passed the ruins of an old shooting hut and turned west towards the summit crossing wetter ground until I reached the summit crag. Climbing atop this rocky outcrop I arrived at the trig point and the summit to tremendous views all around me, and despite the full car park no one else was there. With time progressing I missed out Wainwright's recommended descent over Green Hill and took a direct course down the fell to the river. I had a feeling that was where everyone else would be.

Descending steeply through the wet bracken I eventually reached a path that follows the river high above the narrow valley. Turning right I climbed up the path for a short distance before dropping steeply down to the river where I began to see where all the people were. Crossing a bridge I had a look at a fabulous gorge in the river and a waterfall, High Force, which I'd never seen before. It was really picturesque and I took loads of pictures as I slowly walked down beside the river, but there still didn't seem enough people to explain the full car park. Of course there was an obvious answer to that question which was answered when I reached another gully with an even larger waterfall: Aira Force. This was where everyone was, beside probably the best, most spectacular waterfall in the Lake District, and rightly the most popular. I have been there before but it is still an amazing sight and one that merited many pictures. Unfortunately my time was almost up in the car park and I had my niece's first birthday party to go to. Heading back to my car I reflected on what has been another great holiday. If only I didn't have to go back to work.

No comments: