Friday 30 November 2007

Sherwood Forest

Saturday 17th November 2007

This year I decided that I wanted to do more walks than in previous winters when I have tended to vegetate and put on weight. I am always desperate for the spring when I can get back out and enjoy myself, well not this year. With no more holidays until Christmas Saturdays are my only opportunity for fun so whenever the weather forecast is favourable I am going out for a walk, however I am not going far. I find it frustrating when the time spent driving to a walk is longer than I actually spend walking (plus with the soaring price of petrol it’s not cheap). To prevent this I have drawn a circle on a map, centred on my home town, with a radius of 50 miles and declared that I’ll only do walks within that area. The walk I did in Dove Dale a couple of weeks ago was just inside this circle, even though the actually driving distance was 60 miles. This walk was a similar distance away but unlike Dove Dale it was in an area I had never actually been before: Sherwood Forest.

I find it amazing that I was never taken to this area as a child whereas the Peak District was done to death, so with bright sunshine forecast I set off early and I was in the village of Edwinstowe for 9.30 and heading towards the Major Oak. Robin Hood supposedly hid under this tree, but I had never visited it, so I now corrected this oversight in my upbringing by heading straight for the Major Oak, passing many other old oak trees on the way. The vast majority of trees in this country are not very old, so to be passing these huge, old trees was a humbling experience, but none of them compared with the sight of the Major Oak when I arrived. Forget about Robin Hood as it is silly to think this particular tree has had any association with the outlaw, even if he actually existed, but this is still a huge, really impressive looking tree that deserves all the attention bestowed on it even without it’s supposed legendary history. All trees are special, but this one commands special treatment for its great age, regal poise and majesty, and it’s sheer enormity.

With reluctance I left the Major Oak and headed through the forest joining a bridlepath as it proceeded northwards and entered Budby South Forest. With hindsight I should have stayed within the country park, as instead I was passing an army training ground on an old track through a wilderness with few trees. I was fenced in and couldn’t really enjoy the open scenery, even though it was amazing to see such unspoilt country in Nottinghamshire of all places. On returning back to the edge of the forest I walked along a cycle way to Hazel Gap and there I followed the Robin Hood Way into Duncan Wood and along Freeboard Lane until I reached the A614. During this time the sun had come out, as promised, and revealed a lovely day to be out walking, but unfortunately it wouldn’t last. Heading north for a short distance I rejoined the Robin Hood Way and entered Clumber Park, a National Trust property that is apparently a popular tourist attraction (even though I'd never heard of it).

Dropping down to a minor road I crossed a ford and entered Hardwick Village coming up to the picturesque Clumber Lake. I really wish I had taken my camera (no batteries - the picture of the Major Tree above was taken off the internet) as the views across the lake were stunning with the sunlight sparkling off the lake and with a wide sweep of trees on the other side. Following the Robin Hood Way, I walked around the edge of the lake through the trees and towards the visitor centre. Along the way the skies clouded over and as I was having lunch it even rained; the sunny weather that I'd been hoping for hadn’t lasted very long. Quickly departing from the depressing tourist trap I continued along the lake shore as far as Clumber Bridge where, on the other side, I found a narrow path through the trees and continued my walk beside the lake that was now little more than a river. At Carburton Bridge I plunged into the trees again and joined the Carburton Border track on the edge of the park, and at a sign on the right that said “Welbeck Estate, No Public Access” I turned onto the forest track. In Scotland such signs wouldn’t be allowed as there is a right to roam anywhere, but in England and Wales this is not the case, and I think it is shameful. Technically I was trespassing on this track, but I was only passing through, and what harm was I doing? It’s silly. Crossing a road I followed a bridlepath through the woodland in the rest of the Welbeck Estate back to the Hazel Gap.

Rejoining the Robin Hood Way again, I walked through the Gleadthorpe Plantation, over the River Meden, and back into the Sherwood Forest Country Park. Walking beside Busby South Forest, which I had been through earlier, I went to the Centre Tree (whatever that is) and turning left I made straight for the Major Oak again. After another look at this majestic oak tree I followed the bridlepaths back into Edwinstowe just as the light was failing. This was a long walk, but I can’t help being a little disappointed by it. I had passed through an awful lot of woodland and once the weather had greyed my enthusiasm dimmed with it. I think it was maybe too long a walk with too little variation in my surroundings. It may be alright to walk for 7 or 8 hours over mountains but woodland gets a little monotonous for that long with nothing to see but trees all day.

No comments: