Sunday 4 November 2007

Oke Tor & Cosdon Hill

Tuesday 8th May 2007

The walk that I had planned to do, starting from Postbridge, had been quickly abandoned the night before as the idea for this walk materialized and I had come up with a very good walk that was well planned and much more pleasing than my walk the day before, even if the weather was worse. I started from the village of Sticklepath, not far from Okehampton, parking at the Water Forge Museum (which is shut on Tuesdays). The early part of the walk was a delightful stroll to Belstone along the wooded valley of the River Taw that was awash with bluebells producing a spell-bounding effect that almost made me forget the blisters on the back of my heels. These new shoes may have been great in many ways but I guess they are not particularly broken in yet, which they will need to be before I visit the Lake District at the end of the month (or maybe even get a new pair of boots).

After putting a Compeed on my right heel I ventured out onto the moor climbing up the ridge to Belstone Tors, an impressive collection of rock structures that were made only slightly less desirable by the strong cross wind. As soon as I started to leave the tors it started raining with the wind making it feel especially harsh. Braving the conditions I walked along the ridge to Oke Tor, where I sheltered behind the large rock beside sheep who were also sheltering behind the tor. When the rain temporarily abated I continued along the ridge joining an army road as it plunged down into Steeperton Gorge where, after crossing the stream, I left the road and climbed up to Steeperton Tor. Once there I looked out onto the stunning views down the Taw valley, and all around the northern part of Dartmoor.

Sheltered from the strong winds behind a rock I had my lunch and then set off back into the winds across the Steeperton valley and straight up to Wind Tor before turning to the north and setting a course along the ridge all the way back to Sticklepath passing over Hound Tor, Little Hound Tor and Cosdon Hill on the way. With the rain returning but the wind easing I walked up to Cosdon Beacon on top of the hill and sat right on top of the cairn while gazing out over Dartmoor. This was my last tor before going home and I was sad. Although the weather had been poor and I'd had a bad experience the day before, I had enjoyed this walk so much I was beginning to like Dartmoor. I think that so long as I stayed away from the area around Cranmere Pool and kept to recognized paths and tracks (as I did on this walk) then a very enjoyable walk can always be had in Dartmoor.

 I was already contemplating a return to Dartmoor as I descended the northern slopes down to the north-eastern corner of the moor going through a gate that led me back into the valley where I had started the walk. Another bluebell decorated path brought me down to the river and back to my car with the rain gradually getting heavier as I got to my car. This was a surprisingly enjoyable walk, despite the weather, and made me wonder when a return trip would be made.

No comments: