Tuesday 27 November 2007

Miller’s Dale and Monsal Dale

Monday 8th October 2007

With a day off work, instead of walking in some far off place, I had visited my brother and sister over the weekend, then with a day to fill before going to a concert in Nottingham I decided to go for a walk in the Peak District, to the place of many walks from my childhood and beyond. There are few places in the Peaks I haven’t been so I didn’t try to find one of those places, instead I did a nostalgic walk in an area much visited in my childhood, though little since. I parked at the Lees Bottom car park on the A6 in Monsal Dale, which I remember using before when I walked to the start of the Monsal Trail at Wye Dale and then walked all the way to Monsal Head. My plans now were a little more modest. Crossing the road I took a path through the trees climbing steeply up the hillside onto a tongue of land that separates Taddington Dale and Monsal Dale. Passing through Brushfield Hough I reached a byway and turned left to walk through the lower, middle and top farms of Brushfield. Continuing along the byway I climbed above High Dale and passing over the headland I descended through a nature reserve into Miller’s Dale.

Now my childhood memories came flooding back as the view of the valley below with Ravenstor Youth Hostel also visible evoked memories of walking in the Peak District as a child that must have kindled my love of walking now. Dropping down the hill I reached the Monsal Trail, an old railway line that once ran between Matlock and Buxton. Crossing the line I took the path down to Litton Mill, which I remember as being a derelict, eerie place, but has now been transformed into luxury apartments. However, I don’t think the air of the place has been improved as to me it still feels oppressive. Beyond the old mill the character of the scenery improved drastically as man's oppression was replaced by a delightful walk through the fantastically narrow Miller’s Dale. The river trickling by, with low cliffs either side of the valley through dense woodland gave me a very satisfying and pleasurable feeling that added to the nostalgia that I have about walking through this valley; Miller’s Dale is a wonderful place that will always have a special place in my memories.

Eventually the river widened and the valley opened out into Water-cum-Jolly Dale, a glorious place, before I reached Cressbrook Mill, which although a nicer place than Litton Mill has also been turned into luxury apartments. Beating a hasty retreat I climbed back up to the railway line that had been inaccessible as it passed through closed tunnels (they were opened in 2011). Continuing along the Monsal Trail I passed the site of Monsal Dale Station and over Monsal Viaduct, which is an iconic picture of the line. Beyond the viaduct I climbed up to Monsal Head and took a look at the panoramic views of the valley as it sweeps around the corner. Descending from Monsal Head I took a path through the wood down into Monsal Dale and across the river by a footbridge. All that now remained for me was to have a pleasing walk through Monsal Dale, which is wider than Miller’s Dale and not as thrilling but still enjoyable and took me back to my car. This walk shows that one doesn’t really need to go up a mountain to have a thoroughly enjoyable walk.

No comments: